Thursday, July 16, 2026

Finally Re-Living The Plane Ride in Talkeetna Thursday July 16th

Mike and I made the three hour drive to Talkeetna again. We finally got to take the plane ride over Denali! The weather wasn't the best and the chances that we were landing on a glacier were slim.  I decided to take the same picture I took in 2011 in front of the Talkeetna sign instead of on the glacier.  Same pose, same clothes. 

Ready, set go!
I mentioned to the pilot that we had taken this ride before.  He asked me about it and I told him we flew in 2011 and I didn't remember any of it because I had a ruptured brain aneurysm 11 months later.  I added that I was hoping that we could land on the glacier and I could take another picture like the one I took in 2011.  

Some nice person in the back of the plane offered to take a picture of us before we took off.  
Off we go!


Look at all these instruments the pilot had to navigate! 
Lots of clouds but I didn't care.  This was the most emotional experience of the trip.  I was back in the airplane flying over the Alaska Mountain Range again! No words could can describe how I felt.  So thankful to be alive and living this again.  Such a blessing! Thank you God for given us the opportunity to re-live the 2011 trip.  
The pilot mentioned different mountains that we were seeing.  We pretty much just saw the peaks but as I said before I didn't care.  Every peak was magnificent and I could see the beauty of God's creation in every peak.  


I don't remember all the names of the mountains.  


I think this was Denali.  He flew us all the way around each mountain peak. 


Our pilot was so good and talked to us the whole flight about what we were seeing. 
Still Denali from a different view.
We are now heading back!
Here is one of the glaciers we saw.  There were many.  We weren't able to land on a glacier because of the cloud cover.  The pilot had to see where he was landing and he couldn't.  I was OK with it.  I loved every minute of this even without the glacier landing. 

Perfectly clear blue water.  
Love this cloud formation

Another glacier. 
Glacier after glacier.

To the right of this glacier there was a waterfall.  
Getting close to landing!  I did not edit the color in these pictures. 





We are back.  I was definitely tearing up as this ended.  
The pilot took our picture and yes I had tears in my eyes.  I have tears in my eyes even typing this.  


Everyone at the airplane office said we really had to try the spinach bread.  We did and it was yummy. 

We had dinner in Talkeetna at the Fairview Inn.  It was really good food and a great atmosphere.

Well, we didn't see many animals on our bus ride but we saw moose on the way back to the White Moose Lodge. 


Oh, there is another one! Crossing the road safely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment