Thursday, January 1, 2015

Bald Eagle Watching Coeur d alene, Idaho

Do we go to Bayview, Idaho to see the eagles or to Lake Coeur d alene?  We heard that a lot of the bald eagles were in Bayview because there were a lot of fish to eat.  Bayview was a three hour drive compared to a 45 minute drive to CDA.  CDA here we come.  We were not disappointed.  

 I took the this from the car.  I was not driving! Beautiful!


Mike is checking things out as he does!  This is the place three years ago we saw hundreds of bald eagles.  Mike has such a good eye and spotted a couple in the tree right away.
You can just barely see the freeze line of the lake at the bottom of this photo.  It was about 12 degrees!
 The view from the opposite direction.
These bald eagles are a very rare breed.  You can see they look different from the regular breed of bald eagles.  The colors are a bit different.  You don't see them often in the wild. We were lucky for sure. They don't fly much at all.  Strange but true.  Eagles that don't fly!  That is a different breed.  Where can you find them you say?  Where do you think these two were?
Hanging out on a limb! This was taken with my camera. The close ups were taken with my camera placed on the back of Mike's fabulous spotting scope.  That scope makes it look like you could reach out and pet the eagles.  I hear they have long, long talons so that would not be a good thing to do. Not to mention they are huge!
There are a lot of pictures and some look the same but I want them in my blog book so feel free to browse quickly.


 No longer on the same limb!

 Happened to catch one in the air.  They would dive down and catch fish.
 We are about a half a mile down the road now.  Different tree! There were a couple of birds that would fly down and fish and come back to this tree!
 Don't miss the bald eagle at the bottom of the picture!
 Really zoomed in on this guy.  I bit blurry but you can sure see details!
 Hi Jackie! What is that thing you are aiming at me?
 The circle is from the spotting scope.



 Love these with the branches in from and the eagles a little blurry.



 Another one flying high.  You can see the white on the tips of the wings.
Same area, different tree! The sun was coming out.  The blue ski behind the eagles and the trees make a good picture!


 Notice that you are looking at the back of the bald eagle and his head it twisted around almost completely.


 Back to another tree!  It looks like this eagle has ice on his beak!  On the tip. Think it was just part of his beak.



Time to thaw out!  Our tradition is to go get something to eat after this adventure.  We ate at Michael D's a couple of years ago so we went there! It was yummy last time!


We discovered Michael D's was just serving breakfast and we didn't want breakfast.  We started cruising the  town.  Mike pulled over quickly, parked the car and went into the restaurant to see the menu.  I was still thawing out in the car.  I looked this place up on my phone.  Warmer than getting out of the car.  They are known for their biscuits and gravy. I thought for sure he would come back to the car and say there was more cruising to be done.  Nope!  Come on in Jackie!  They had salads and other things that were sort of healthy!
This place was hopping!  Lots of people.  We always seem to find places like this and I love them.  People talk to each other and smile and laugh.  It was great!  The service was the best and they were so friendly.  I don't think I made a new friend though!  There is a first time for everything.



 This man was a local.  The waitress and all the workers knew him.

 Amen to this!

 Mike wanted one more picture.  He was a happy, nice man.  I could tell!
Mike's salad.  Chef salad.  Big! Yummy.  This picture makes me laugh.  Goofy Mike! I got a taco salad.  It was fine but I should have known that it wasn't a place that would do a great job with Mexican cuisine.
 Mike taking one more picture!
 Leaving the Coeur d alene area!
Screech.  Gotta go by the liquor store but there is no way the liquor store will be open on New Years Day.  No way.  It was!  Mike was happy, happy! Why? Because he pays less for his beverage of choice in Idaho than he would in Washington.
Does he look happy?  Saving money and football, two of Mike's priorities.  We had a fabulous day.  So nice to hang out with the man I love with all my heart. He makes me smile.  It was a nice peaceful day being outside in the cold, beautiful forest seeing the magnificent creation God gave us to view! The bald eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment