Thursday, August 10, 2017

Regents' Distinguished Alumnus Award Steve Gleason

WSU, we have arrived.  We fought some traffic but we made it in time to Steve receive the most prestigious award WSU gives out.  Another unique experience for Mike and I.   The stadium was decked out for the day.  
I pretty much had to force Mike to stand and take this picture.  He will thank me someday!  
 Kim, Tim and their kids joined us.  Tim is not very cooperative when it comes to picture taking.

There was a big crowd.  Mike met Scott.  Scott lives in New Jersey.  He was in Seattle for work and heard about Steve's award.  He decided to get in his car and drive to Pullman for the chance to meet Steve.  He talked to Mike for awhile about how much Steve meant to him.  Yes, he did get to meet Steve!
 Two goof balls for sure!

Here we go.  If I remember correctly this man was one of the WSU regents.  He was so nervous.  He talked about how often he did public speaking with no problem.  This time not so much.  He really was nervous.  You could tell.  He wanted all to be perfect.
 He did a nice job honoring Steve!
 Steve's buddy Grady was next.  Also, a great tribute to Steve.

One thing that Grady said that struck me was that even if Steve hadn't been diagnosed with ALS he still would have been up there getting this award.  He said as we all talk about doing things Steve goes out and does them.  If it wouldn't have been his work with ALS it would have been something else.
Grady was talking about Steve's character.  He quoted Coach Price referencing Steve.  I won't get it exactly right but here goes...You can judge a person's character buy the way he treats someone who can do nothing for him.
 Now the president of WSU who listed many of Steve's accomplishments

Steve's turn.  I wish I would have taken video of Steve's speech.  It was beautiful and of course humorous.

 Of course Steve prepares the speech ahead of time and then plays it.  He seemed pretty emotional during the speech.
And not the standing O!  I don't know who started the WSU fight song but the crowd was singing it loud and proud.  I had tears in my eyes and so did a lot of others.  It was so moving!  Wish you could have been there!!!

 Yes, again I had to persuade Mike to climb up on the stage for this picture.  Once in a lifetime!

 Michel is not cooperating!
 Much better!
There were snacks and drinks after the ceremony.  I thought the ceremony was great, wonderful and nicely done!
 One last photo session!





 GO COUGS! NO WHITE FLAGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment