Sunday, August 5, 2018

And They Eat Crickets, Another Gleason Visit

I know God can do more than we can even imagine.  Expect the unexpected when it comes to the power of God.  That is so exciting to me.  I could say expect the unexpected when it comes to hanging out with the Gleasons but it just isn't the same thing.  They did it!  Yes, they did.  Crickets and grasshoppers were eaten.  You will have to read on to experience that. 
We arrived just as Tony was leaving.  Obviously, the people that own this house are Cougars!

Isabel is one of the Fujita's daughters.   They have three.  When I got there she wanted to show me the crickets they caught.  Frozen in preparation for eating.  Seriously!
 I got a lesson on how to catch crickets too.  Isabel and her twin sister are going to be 5th graders coming up this year.

 Just like that! And there it is!
 What a nice way to relax.  Michel, Scott and Kenny.  Smoke was in the air from a fire close by.
Marlo and Rivers found a piece of driftwood and made it into a game.  Something about orphans, money and the army.  Imagination at it's best.
Clue, a game of Clue.  I won! Well, Kenny would have if he read his card correctly.  He had the right answer he just didn't say it right.
 Relaxing!
Humming birds were frequent visitors!  Lots of them!
 Here we go with the first round of grasshopper eating which I think was the most disgusting! Steve got a peek at the first grasshopper to be consumed. The crickets came later.

I never and I mean never know what to expect from Mike! Click the video to watch! We will start with grasshoppers.   Notice the difference in the reactions of Isabel and Rivers.  Totally different.  Mike made a reference to John the Baptist after eating these. 

One wasn't enough and apparently chocolate makes grasshopper eating way better!  This video was too long to post on the blog so I made a YouTube link.  You don't want to miss this.  Click the link below to view. 

A photograph of this event with Isabel looking on. 
Well, maybe if we keep searching for crickets and grasshoppers Grandpa Mike will eat more.  

 Done for now!

 The classic water balloon fight!



Dinner time!  Scott barbecued some chicken outside while the rest of the cooking was happening inside.
 Group photo time!




 Kyle and Kenny joined the photos! They are amazing men.  Great support for Steve, Michel and Rivers.


Fujita and Gleason!
Love those smiles!  Joy!
 Fishing!
 Mike is a good helper.  He is helping the kids with their fishing skills!
Round two and the cricket eating begins.  There was much discussion about how to cook these critters.  I think they ended up in some butter, salt and pepper.  This is way out of my comfort zone.  I mean WAY out of my comfort zone.  It had to be documented though because who would believe it!
 After the crickets are cooked they are dipped in chocolate.  A cricket fondue.  This is supposed to make them taste better???? I would never be able to consume chocolate again if I dipped a cricket in chocolate and ate it.
I missed getting Scott eating the cricket.  He mentioned something about chewy with a little crunch.  So icky!  His daughter did not enjoy the experience.
 I am not sure Michel did either!

Well, time for me to head home.  Mike stayed a little longer and took a boat ride.  This day was quite an adventure full of laughter, love, relaxation, family time and weird things.  Love the NOLA Gleasons and I thank God for another summer visit. We are both looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment