Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Bloomsday Number 38, 2019

This race, oh this race!  It has been such a tradition in my life.  It's a reminder of all the different things I have been through and how God has lifted me up over and over again.  I never missed Bloomsday, not even after my brain surgery.  I don't really feel like I am a different person after my ruptured brain aneurysm, I really feel like I am more of the person God wants me to be.  My deepest desire is to be more of the person God wants me to be each and every day.  Surrendering more of who I am to who He wants me to be. 
 I was teary when I left for Bloomsday.  Happy tears because of the miracle of life that was given to me.  Things I love about Bloomsday.  Doing the race with friends and family.  The helicopter that hovers about the start line.  Watching people try and get the sweatshirts in the trees.  It isn't easy.  The beach balls bouncing around at the start line. Rocky playing at the finish line and the ice cream truck on the way back to the car!
 Riverfront Park!  Spokane at it's finest!



 I had to take the long way to the start line because of the construction in the park.  It was a bonus because I got to take pictures of the Bloomsday runners in the park.  It did add some steps to the event!!



 Riverfront Park has changed a lot.  It looks great!

 Not before the race for sure!
 And here they are! A tradition to throw clothing up into the trees.  Everything is collected and given to charity.  I wonder when this started???
 The helicopter!  A high point because I actually got a picture of it.  It is hard to find it when taking a picture. The darn thing moves!
 The start line.  I don't mind the crowds at all.  It is fun to talk with people and people watch!  Everyone is excited!

 We met a new friend.  She took our picture.  It was her first Bloomsday and she was alone.  She said she wished she had someone to take a picture with.  So we took a selfie with her on her phone.  It's the little things!  She was happy!  Team Gleason all the way today.  Black was not the best color to wear on this sunny day.

 Here we go!!!
 Every year we are serenaded by the Catholics.

Can you see the solid wall of people way ahead of us?


Turning the corner, heading for "THE HILL", Doomsday Hill.


Doomsday Hill looks so easy and innocent from far away!!! It does look long!
All the people climbing Doomsday Hill!
And here we go!!!!

Not sure what happened to the vulture.  A break maybe?


The neighborhoods all get involved in some way.
They sell otter pops all along the course but there was no way that I would stop for one.  This one was free.  I will take it, especially after the hill.
He has done them all.  Quite an accomplishment!!
This was right before the finish line.  These soldiers were checking to make sure everyone was doing AOK!!!  It was a pretty sunny and warm Bloomsday.  I thought that was pretty neat!!
The finish line.  I didn't get a close up to the finish line because I didn't.  I was too busy trying to get across!
I love the shirts this year.  Maybe my all time favorite! Thanks for hanging with me again this year Sheila.  Until next year!!!  I will be there, will you?


No comments:

Post a Comment