Monday, August 11, 2014

Coeur d Alene Scenic Sprint Triathlon August 2014

It all starts with packet pickup!  Friday evening over to Coeur d Alene to pick up my race info and to hear the mandatory meeting details.  I decided to stay for the meeting for a refresher on the official triathlon rules.  Stay three bike lengths behind any rider unless you are passing on the left.  If you are passed drop back to three bike lengths behind the passer.  You have to have a certain type of helmet, handlebar caps, etc.  Makes it all sound so official and makes me more nervous.  I think I was nervous because it had been three years since I had completed a sprint triathlon and I didn't really know what to expect.  I knew I could complete this but wasn't sure how I would feel during and after. The unknown!
A quiet park will be transformed into a hustle of athletes, wetsuits and bikes in just a few hours!


Packet pickup!

The lake was choppy Friday night because it was windy.  Hoping Saturday is nice and calm.
So beautiful.  Swimming tomorrow right here!
This helped my nerves! NOT!
The day has arrive and as promised the park was filled with athletes, bikes and wetsuits. My number 443.
EAOD ladies, remember how we all worked so hard in the past to have out transition area just right.  My philosophy this time was don't forget anything and get it on the mat.  That's all.
My added pink bling had to be included!
Wetsuits everywhere.  What was I thinking?  Didn't even bring one.  Rookie mistake?



Getting numbered up!

I look so happy don't I?
I was concentrating on something here but I have no idea what it was!
The first wave was about to start.  They started over an hour before I did.
Warm up time!
Still warming up in the water.  Wetsuits again.
Look at all the wetsuits.  I had never done a triathlon without one.
Patti kept pointing out the people without wetsuits for encouragement.  Mandi kept telling me I would not need one!
Here we go.  The Olympic Sprint athletes are off!

Can you see the yellow buoy?  That is where the Olympic athletes swam to.  Then across and back to the beach.  The one lone swimmer you can see here is way ahead of everyone else.  There is no swimmer near him.  They are all back by the yellow buoy!
Getting ready.  Let's just get this over with and get started.  I will relax hopefully.
Mandi and I are off to the beach.
I got in the water and swam a bit before my wave started.  Smart, it wasn't cold and I did not need a wetsuit.  Patti and Mandi were right! As you can see the water was not calm, wind and some chops in the water! Not too bad though.

I think Patti caught the first swimmer to come in here.  Boy was he fast.  Far right of the picture.


Swimmers leaving and finishing.
This might be my start.  Hard to tell.  I just took it easy as I headed into the choppy water and then as I turned and headed across the choppy water I was able to go a bit harder.  The swim back to the shore was the best.  I am not a fast swimmer at all.  Slow and steady.  It wasn't hard at all.


Great picture of the support crew in the water.
The white spot in the water to the left of the paddle boards is me (I think)
Here I am again.  Head in the water but I kept looking up so I didn't swim extra yards as I got closer to the shore.  Those of you that have done open water swims with me know I am notorious for going way out of my way to finish.

Here I am looking up to make sure I am on the right path and I don't swim several more yards than I need to! It has happened many times before!
Last few strokes!



Done!  My first words to Patti were, "Is there anyone behind me?"  Yes! Off to the hilly bike course.  I am much calmer now that things have started.
EAOD ladies this is where I am having my sandwich!




Done with the bike ride.  I was so happy with my bike.  I was worried about all the hills and if I do say so myself I did great!  I did get off and walk about the length of about two houses on the nasty curved hill but I got right back on the bike and kept going.  My hill practice helped a lot.  I am sure my 30 mile bike ride with rolling hills two weeks before contributed to my success. This is where I had tears.  I was so happy that I was able to climb those hills and I just felt so good.  I got this!

Hi Patti!  As you can tell I took my transitions very seriously!  Another sandwich ladies?  You know what I mean!
Off I go holding my knee brace.  Where am I going to put this thing on?  Turns out I found a bench right outside the bike area.  I had technical difficulties with my shoe laces and my brace along the way.  Finally stopped at the turn around and fixed both things.  Just before the finish line I heard, "Jackson!".  Mike was there cheering me on.  Love him!
I was beaming when I saw this.  Hand held high and clapping.  Laughing!  The announcer even mentioned my big smile and he gave me a high five.  I can't describe how good I felt.  I saw Mandi Larson just before I got the finish line.  She came back to give me a hug.  Boy, did I have great encouragement and support from all.  Thanks to Patti, Mike, Mandi and Melissa!  Thanks to those who sent texts and Facebook messages too.  Love you!
Here it is! The completion of my first sprint triathlon it three years.  I signed up for the Chelanman last summer but doctors orders said no way!  To close to an angiogram I had!  OK doc!

Thanks for the big hug Mandi! So glad you were there!
A post race BBQ for the participants.  One free beer and a commemorative glass.  I did not indulge in the beer.
Melissa was so encouraging!  Thanks so much!
Mike and I went to check my time on the computer.  It said second place in my age group.  What???  I got my silver medal.  When I got home I looked up my age group and there were only two people in my age group.  I didn't feel like it was much of an accomplishment then.  Mike put a nice spin on it.  Hey, Jackie there were only two women that were even willing and able to do this in your age group. That should make you feel very proud!  I like it, thanks Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment