Tuesday, November 20, 2012

First Swim at Whitworth Pool

Almost 5 months ago I had a ruptured brain aneurysm in this pool at Whitworth University.  I have been trying to get back in the water but have been nervous about it.  One Monday night I was already to go and we were watching Monday Night Football and the Saints play.  There was a special on Stephen (he played for the Saints) before the game.  We knew he was at the game.  During the game right around the time I should have left for swimming the announcer said Steve Gleason was unresponsive and was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  That sent this family into a tail spin and phone calls started coming to us and we were making phone calls too.  So much for swimming.  Steve had a flu bug and as most of you know he has ALS so any sickness is concerning.  He is fine and I still didn't get in the pool.  Well, I finally made it on Monday Nov. 19, 2012.
There were a lot of heroes and angels when it came to this whole thing.  Here is one of them.  Kevin is the coach that was at the pool the morning all this happened.  He and Emily got me out of the pool and kept telling me to breathe! Good advice for sure but I couldn't hear it or maybe I did, who knows.  911 was called and I was whisked away in an ambulance.  Kevin is such a nice person and I am glad he helps me with my swimming and I am so thankful he was there!  I look forward to many more coaching sessions.  Even if you did tell me tonight you wouldn't jump in the water and get wet for me.  :-)  Kidding I am sure?  You are awesome Kevin.  Thank you, thank you! If I look a little scared in this picture it is because I was.  This picture was taken at the spot I was pulled out of the water.
 My other hero/angel, Emily.  She also was there and helped to rescue me.  I really owe both of these people my life.  They moved fast and did the right things so that I could carry on in life.  Without their quick thinking who knows what would have happened.  Emily drove to the hospital to be with me and the family.  She said they did everything right.  Thank you Emily for being there and saving me.  You are a good friend.
Mike came with me to the pool.  He was my support as he often is.  I know it doesn't make much sense that the pool would freak me out because the pool and swimming didn't cause the aneurysm.  But there is an association there for sure.  As soon as I got in the water it all went away.  I wasn't in the best swimming shape but was able to swim for about 40 minutes with rests.  It was a great feeling to overcome the fear.  NO WHITE FLAGS, no surrender.  Below is a video of me swimming.  Kevin you can send me a list of the things I am doing wrong.  :-)  

Mike was trying to get a picture of me when I took a breath but it didn't happen.  Probably because of my blazing speed in the pool.  The camera didn't work fast enough.  Just kidding of course.  I am not fast YET.
 Happy me!
No White Flags.  The Steve Gleason pose.  In case you don't know this is the saying Steve has on his Team Gleason shirts.  No surrendering and he doesn't even though he is faced with ALS.  Steve started the WhoDat chant at a Saints game with this pose.  One arm in the air.  It is on everything actually.  He has a foundation that raises lots of money to help others.  He is amazing.  I posted a picture of the shirt below.  Out of context I know but...

Finally found the real thing.  Adding it after I originally posted but there it is.  Steve and the pose!
 NO WHITE FLAGS.  I did it.  So glad to have the anticipation over with and to finally have jumped in that pool.  It was great.  Thanks to Kevin and Emily and the others that were there at the pool on June 25, 2012. Glory to God!  He was there too.


3 comments: