Monday, January 28, 2013

Another Ski Day at 49 Degrees North

Another day at 49 Degrees North in a winter wonderland.  Monday and no one was up there.  Well, when I say no one I don't mean there weren't any people skiing.  There were but not many.  This was my last weekday skiing.  Next week starts full time teaching.  I must be more talkative than I used to be because I am meeting a lot of people.  Just briefly, not for a long term friendship.  We just talk for a while and then go our separate ways.  Except for Joe who I met my first day up this year.  We talk every time I am there.  
My favorite.  Love the sound of my skis hitting the groomed corduroy slopes.   I of course hit the bell on the way down this run.  It is a strict rule you must hit the bell.  There is more than one bell.  I only know where one other one is.  I should find them all and ding them all one day.  Good idea!
I rode up the chair lift with Larry.  He wanted me to take a picture of him for his wife so he could send it to her.  I did and then I asked him to take a couple of me.  That's only fair!  I was looking right into the sun.  That is why the squint.  

 This is Larry.  He is 75 years old and still making turns.  He was in the Navy for a while and then taught school.  He did express some lack of motivation for getting out the door to ski.  Didn't see him again after the chair ride.  I am not shy about taking a stranger's picture. I was going to comment on the SC hat but bit my tongue. Being a California girl I am not a big fan of USC.  UCLA yes! You can't like them both.  Seriously, you can't.
 I also talked to Roy and his girlfriend in the lodge for a while and rode up the chair with Sean who works at 49.  I told you I must be more talkative.  
 It was a beautiful start to the day and I thought for sure the sun would continue to appear.  I kept thinking Mike would love these conditions and the weather.  I wish he was here.  It was perfect.
Never mind.  The fog started rolling in and it was thick.  Mike would have been in the lodge.  Doesn't like skiing in the fog.  I decided to go under chair one and to the left.  It is a wide run and I couldn't even see the trees on the sides.  Of course no other silly person was on the fog run so I had no one to watch or follow.  I figured down would be good.  I had a certain path in mind and had no idea if I was on it.  I wasn't.  I was able to get to the top of chair 2 and I could actually see the place to get off the chair.  Now I know where I am except I needed to get to the other side of the chairlift.  Done.  Still foggy but at least I had some sense of where I was.  I decided the ridge run and Silver Queen might be better.  It was a bit better.  The trees were closer and it wasn't as wide of a run so it was easier to maneuver.  These pictures are not of the worst fog but it gives you and idea!  It was definitely worse.  It was still fun and I loved almost every minute!

 This is pretty close to the bottom of the hill.  Not too bad here but not that good either.  I kept skiing but called the day earlier than normal.
There is something I just love about the snow!  I smile and I am in awe all the way up the mountain.  To be able to ski in the beauty is an amazing feeling.  I get so excited.  God is great and so is his forest covered in snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment