Friday, May 30, 2014

The Pre-Game Show Bolder Boulder 2014

I guess I can't say much about this because Spokane has legalized this stuff too.  No, Keri is not smoking, she is just pretending!  Posing for the picture.  
Keri wanted to show my Pearl Street.  No cars, lots of shops and cool things.  Turns out Pearl St. was where the Bolder Boulder Expo was and where the packet pick up was.  Lots of fun things to see!


 The man behind the balloons!
 Lots of the restaurants were open like this one.
 We found ice cream.
 Oh my gosh.  I know there are secrets behind the works of magicians but this guy was so good!
He had Keri put one card in her hand after she had looked at a card and memorized it.  The card that was put in her hand was not the one she memorized.  When she opened her hand, still one card but it was hers! AHHH.  How did he do that?
 He was pretty good with manipulating the cards!  Nice formation here!
 Hmmm, he looks familiar.  This was a real person.
 This was just fun to watch!  The kids were having so much fun!
 Next stop for a little hike and looking at the sights.










Sunday and we are off to Estes Park.  It had been years since I was at Estes Park and I was excited to see it again.  We stopped several times along the way for pictures.


 Cool rock formations!

Off in the distance you can see the Stanley Hotel.  Filming place of the Shining.  I have to admit I have never seen the movie and I have no desire to.  I have seen plenty of clips and I think I would be lacking some sleep for days if I watched it.






 We made reservations for a history/ghost tour and headed out to Bear Lake for a hike.  More scenic pictures.

 The weather was turning on us for sure.  The higher we climbed the more rain and hail.
 A little sun was breaking through the clouds to reveal some snow covered mountains.  Just a sliver of the mountains.

 And so it begins, the hail.  Looks like snow but it was a ton of hail!
Click on the video for some hail action.  We actually had to pull off the road during one of the three hail storms we encountered. 






 Here we are at Bear Lake.  Keri was determined to see the lake even if it was raining.
 She got the snacks out of the trunk!
 Not the picnic we expected but it worked.
 Off to the lake we go with rain jackets on but not the best shoes.  There was hard wet snow.

 Keri made it to the lake but ...


My shoes were so slippery that I couldn't walk on the snow.  I knew I would fall.  Keri went on and I said I would walk back.  I was only about 15 steps from the parking lot.  I took one step and said NO I will just wait for Keri to come back.  I stood in the middle of the path looking around like I was waiting for someone as people went around me.  I could not move.  I felt sort of silly just standing so I asked a nice man to help me.  It took two of them.  Boy your shoes are slippery!  Well, Keri was right behind me when this was happening.  Instead of saying, "Mom, I will help you" she took pictures.  Then made a comment about helping her elderly mother.  I quickly chimed in, "I am not elderly, I am doing a 1/2 marathon in a week!  Keri, Keri!  Thanks so much for this lovely photo!
Back to Estes Park for our tour.  

 Lots of rain and a stop at a small cafe with a 5 star rating. The rating was correct.  Great place.

Jena, owner!  She talked to everyone in the place like she was their best friend. Nice place.  Good food and nice people.


 Still raining!

 Look who was at the Stanley!  We couldn't believe it.  The star of the Shining!
 Let the tour begin!
 This was the ice house.  All the ice was kept here.  Guess that is why they called it the ice house.
 This was the man that got this whole thing started.  F. O. Stanley.
The famous room where Stephen King got his inspiration for the book The Shining.  He did not write the whole book in the room.


I don't remember exactly what this is about.  Something about a dream the Stephen King had??? Not sure if it was Stephen King.  It was a dream about a child of his being strangled by the hose that was one time connected to this water spout up on the wall.
After a lot of history we got into the ghost stories.  I do not believe in ghosts.  I think there is evil in this world that tries to move us away from God but not children playing in a hallway and people leaving candy out for them.  Nope!  I made it very clear to Keri that this was a bunch of baloney!  I listened politely and didn't say anything to our host.  The host said this was a bell tower and it you put your camera up it and snap a picture you will get a surprise.  Red Rum was in the movie I guess and someone scribed it on the door to the tower.
Young ghost children have been seen sitting on these small couches.  NOT.  I took a picture and no ghosts in the picture. Oh, and a cowboy visits one other room and tips his hat to people at night and sometimes plants a kiss on ladies foreheads.  People really believe this?  Drinking maybe?
 The Stanley Steamer.
 This was the basement of the building.  This is the foundation.  Huge rocks.
Another ghost story.  In this area a young boy was standing where I am and he felt someone hugging him.  When our host asked if anyone would go back there I said I would.  No hugs!  Surprise!
I spent a lot of time talking about my unbelief or disbelief in ghosts while we were at the Stanley.  We were walking up a stairway and I felt two quick taps on my left shoulder.  Of course we had just heard about ghosts on this stairway.  I looked around and Keri was the only one behind me and wasn't in a position to tap me.  I felt another two quick taps.  Again Keri was not in a position to tap me.  Everyone else was far below us.  It took me a few minutes but I finally asked Keri if it was her.  No, she said.  I didn't think it was.  She asked me if it could have been my jacket or something like that.  No, I can tell you exactly where I felt it and it was not my jacket.   Taps.  OK, why me?  I don't believe in this stuff.  I could not explain it and did not believe it at the same time.  I kept going over it in my mind and Keri had to listen to it over and over too.  I said I was not going to tell Mike or anyone.  They would think I was nuts.  Why me?  It kept coming into my mind.  It couldn't have happened but it did, over and over in my mind.  How was I going to explain this to myself! No way.  But yes, it happened.  I could still feel the touches vividly.  Keri thought it might have been someone else but there was no one close to us! Creepy.  This isn't real but it is real! After two hours of tormenting myself Keri got a huge smile on her face.  It was me MOM!  WHAT!!!  I was so relieved and I got so sucked into it by Keri!  Naughty Keri!  You got me good!

Headed back to our hotel and there are those beautiful Rocky Mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment