Sunday, May 12, 2013

Bloomsday 2013!

Bloomsday number 32 for me and number 4 for my sister Patti.  This one was a very special one for both of us.  My streak could have ended but it didn't.  I have missed only 5 Bloomsday.  We figured out that when I do number 50 I will be 78 years old.  We are going to the trade show and picking up our packets with 50,000 other people the day before Bloomsday. 
Somebody has some talent!  This is a huge balloon shoe!
 I was able to get a few pictures in Riverfront park on Saturday.  On race day the park will be full of people and you probably won't notice this scarecrow.
 There are lots of different places to eat.

 This picture is for you Justin! See, they do call them Hoodies!
 Patti had these made.  One for Mike and one for me.  We both just love them.  I bet everyone will want one as I drive around Spokane and show it off.

 Well, here we go in our new Sweet Spot skirts.
 Spokane is so beautiful!  Love seeing the river roaring through Riverfront Park.
 The court house.
 The traditional fountain picture.  We are missing our sister Dee-Dee in this picture.  Hopefully, next year.
 Lots more security this year.  We were happy about that!
 We wanted the best tough guy look from these guys! Three of them weren't paying any attention to us obviously.
 Not bad!  This guy looks tough for sure except for the fact he is carrying a blue flag.
 Haha!  There is no such thing as losing at Bloomsday.  We are all winners!  That is the joy of Bloomsday, it is a great event for everyone.
We just happened to be standing next to this group in line.  Patti told them we were Team Gleason (for my step-son Steve who has ALS) and she noticed that they were Team Steve.  Turns out Laurie lost her brother to ALS and they were walking the event in honor of him.  Laurie was at the ALS luncheon we attended and Mike spoke at the week before.  It was so good to talk with them.  This was no coincidence. There were almost 50,000 people at Bloomsday.  God put us together!

We found Sheila finally.  My sense of direction needs some work apparently.  It all worked out!
This was the blue group. One of many groups.  A way to sort out all the runners and walkers is to put them in color groups according to speed.  We started about 45 minutes later than the seeded racers.
 Here they are again.  I did bring anything to throw in the trees.  I forgot.  I found a sweatshirt on the ground and threw it into the tree and it fell out.  I have never landed one in the tree.  This time I was able to set it in the tree.  All the clothing is donated.

 Getting closer to the start line!
 More security.
This is a very interesting outfit don't you think? Pink socks, pink and black pants?  If those are pants, maybe shorts.
If you read the previous post about Nola's front yard being decorated you will understand when I say...Nola was here!
Lots of people starting up the first small hill.

A little dancing for entertainment.  We were invited to join the dance as were all the Bloomies but we had more miles to trod.
 Just getting started and it was a beautiful day.
Hill number two.  This hill is deceptive because you think it ends before it really does.  Longer than it appears.
This is when you can begin to hear people talk about Doomsday Hill.  Almost a mile and pretty darn steep.
This young lady's outfit was made out of Bloomsday shirts.  Her scarf, her water bottle holder.  The bow on the back.  It was very cute but I would not take scissors to any of my shirts.
It is hard enough propelling your own weight but this is incredible.  This dad is carrying his son in a backpack!
Last year we saw this man carrying a cross and he was back again this year.  I have to say this is a pretty great witness for our powerful, great God.

Rumble, rumble, you can hear the soft rumble of people saying IT is coming.  I see Doomdsay Hill.  You can see the hill way in the background.
 This man was happy to pose for a picture.  Most people are!
 If you click on this picture I think it will come up bigger and you can see the big Doomsday Hill filled with people.  It is right above the railing.
 Doomsday Hill
 More security, Spokane's finest.
 The Spokane River runs to the right of Doomsday Hill.  Beautiful.
My turn to head up.  Sheila was with me and Patti took off to crank up the hill. She wanted to see how fast she could do it.  She beat us for sure.  You can see the people all the way up the hill.
Dad was carrying his son and this man is carrying his girlfriend, wife or sister?  I couldn't believe it!  This hill is steep.  He has to be strong!

 We made it.  Patti met us at the top of the hill at mile five.
The vulture awaits anyone who can't make it to the top of Doomsday Hill. The vulture makes an appearance every year.
Our wonderful neighbors were at a friend's house and told us where they would be along the course.  We had to stop and take pictures of course. Patti and Nola are hugging.
 Reid and Nola
The girls, Sheila, Nola, Patti, Jackie.  We have the best neighbors ever!
No White Flags!  Almost done and still smiling.

The finish.  I knew that Bloomsday was a big deal for me this year but I didn't know I would be so emotional.  I heard Rocky playing as we turned the corner for the finish line, like it does every year and the tears came rolling down my cheeks. I have done other events since my ruptured aneurysm but Bloomsday was a big one for me because of our history together. Tears of joy.  Ten months ago I had a grade 4+ ruptured brain aneurysm while swimming.  The highest grade of aneurysms is 5.  I had a 5% chance of living and spent 2 months in hospitals.  Here I am finishing my 32nd Bloomsday with my sister and the streak continues.  I praise God every day and thank him for giving me my life back.  Not just my life back but me back.  I can do all the things I love and spend time with my family and friends.  I can think, talk, walk, and love life.  Thank you God and thanks to everyone who prayed for me.  I am a pretty blessed person.  ( I know many of you have heard this way too much but I had to write my thoughts down. )



Bloomsday ended with happy tears and hugs with Patti, Sheila and me!  Can't wait for Bloomsday number 33!

No comments:

Post a Comment