Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Windermere 1/2 Marathon

What a incredible birthday I spent with my friends and family.  A birthday I will never forget.  Some want to forget getting older and having a birthday but I celebrated like I have never celebrated before.  I set this 1/2 marathon as a goal when I was still recovering.  I was still having headaches, sleeping a lot and I was at home watching lots of television because it was all I had the energy for.  I was blessed to have Katie and my friends Bonnie, Sheila and Freida walk with me.  Part of our Elite Athletes Only Different group.  Notice the matching shirts.  
I did not notice the color of this picture until I posted it.  Must have done something when I edited it.  I liked it so I left it even if it isn't accurate.  Melanie joined us too.
 Bonnie, Sheila and I are walkers.  Fast walkers.  In fact as we were close to the end, maybe three miles out one of the marathoners stopped running in front of us.  We caught up to him and he said boy you ladies walk fast!  That's right! (We didn't say that) He continued to walk and we passed him but ended up calling back to him to jog slowly and start running again.  He took our advice and started jogging and passed us.  
The shuttle bus to the start line.  Kate took a shuttle and almost missed the start of the race.  She got the shuttle that stopped at hotels along the way.  AHHHH. She made it with a smile on her face as usual.
Katie!  Put your shirt down!  Oh, NO WHITE FLAGS.  Nice!
 Sporting Team Gleason at the Windermere 1/2.  Team Gleason is everywhere!

Yes, oh yes I did.  I did take a picture of the porta potties.  They are very popular before an event!  How could I not take a picture.
Adding more to the group.  Katie, Melanie, Sheila, Bonnie, Tina, Mandi, Mandy.  The Mandy's run for Team in Training and raise money for kicking out cancer.  They do a great job!  Tina works with Mike!
 Here we are again but now I am in the picture.
I couldn't have better friends.  We have so much fun and we laugh a lot.  Laughing is good for you as you might know.  You should try it on a regular basis.  
The sea of starters!

 Sheila always wears her number behind her.  I am not sure why.  I will have to ask her sometime.
The 1/2 marathon route was beautiful.  Most of it was right along the Spokane River.
 We did it!  15 mile mark!  Super stars.  Oh, that is for the full marathon.  Big mistake.  I thought that mile marker was farther than we were supposed to go.  
 Beautiful!
And more of God's beautiful creation!

 Now that is a pose!  Thanks course marshals.
Now this is more realistic than 15 miles.  The three mile mark!  Only 10.1 to go.
Now 5 and only 8.1 to go!

7.1 left.  Getting closer!  
A nice man offered to take our picture together.  At this point Katie has started running.  She is training for a 1/2 Iron Man.  Whew!
We finally made it back to the city of Spokane.  I think our time would have been better if we hadn't stopped so much to take pictures.  Now, we have these pictures to remember the day forever!
At this point the decision was made to do no more stopping for pictures.  I am pretty good at taking pictures without stopping.  Trained professional.  Sheila is my spotter.  She lets me know if a good picture is coming up.  
 The Team in Training ladies.
This was the third women we saw passing us.  I don't think the picture is in the right sequence but she was looking good.  She was completing the marathon. 
Here it is the finish.  We did it!  13.1 miles one day before my 60th birthday.  I felt so happy and so thankful to God.  A miracle.  It just doesn't happen like this.  God can do anything.  He heard all the prayers of my friends and family and answered them.  I thank God every day for my life and for the people that surround me.
Medals and roses! I think this medal will be my favorite.  When I set the goal to complete this I wasn't sure I could do it! Hmmm, I did it. 

This nice young man presented me with my medal!
Done!  So happy.  There was some conversation about whether or not I would cry.  Happy tears.  I did at Bloomsday.  I thought I would make it through the finish line with no tears until I saw Katie sobbing and heard the announcer say my name and that I was recovering from a ruptured brain aneurysm.  Katie told the announcer that I was her mom and that I was recovering.  The tears came.  Then I saw Lois and the tears continue.  So happy to be alive.  So blessed.  I wish I could explain how it feels!  Words just don't do it.  I am happier than ever and I trust God with my life more than ever.
Deanna came!  She is injured so she couldn't run.  She didn't love this race last year.  I think she wasn't feeling very good.  Deanna mentioned she would never do this race again.  Bonnie has a halo over her.  She is an angel.
I was so happy to see Mike at the finish line!  I could hardly wait to hug him.  I love him a ton.  I really wanted him to put my medal on but I didn't want to break the medal rules.  :-)
 Two precious ladies!  Kate and Freida!
 I am not sure what Freida is doing here.  Dancing?  Singing?  Hopping around?
 The victory is ours!
 Bonnie, Kate and Freida with medals and roses.  They look good don't they!
 My friends pointed this out to me.  At first I cringed and then decided a picture was appropriate.  I will not be riding on one of these this June 25th!
My handsome husband at the beer garden.  I couldn't figure out why everyone was getting beer after an event.  Since when?  We were supposed to be going to the Rocket Bakery together.  Hurry up!  My knee needed to be moving because it did.  Freida and I walked back to the car and sat on the curb.  We didn't have the keys.  I kept saying, where are they.  I was ready to walk to the Rocket Bakery.  Freida was texting the gang.  I thought she was concerned about getting to the Bakery too.  Little did I know there was another plan.  Sheila, Katie, and Bonnie finally showed up.  We got in the car.  I was talking and didn't even notice what direction we were headed in.  When I finally realized Sheila had no idea where she was going I said something.  Where are you going Sheila?

Turns out there was a plan I knew nothing about.  Everyone kept it a secret.  I am pretty good at picking up on things but not this time.  I must have said let's go to the Rocket Bakery a million times.  Everyone just agreed.  The beer drinking was a stall so that we would not be at the Onion too soon.  
Surprise!  A 60th birthday party!  I was soooooo happy!  I just have to say thanks to everyone that made this a perfect day!  Perfect.  I will never forget this birthday celebration.

Here they are...the best.  The best friends a person could ever have. Some of the pictures were really blurry so I didn't add them!  I missed some of the people that were there.  I guess I was so excited my camera hand was shaking.
 The Overmans!
 The most delicious cake I have ever eaten made by Kristin's sister in law.
Now here are two precious people.  Thanks Kristin for all your planning and work. I love you so much.
 Two more precious people.  Thanks to Katie and Keri for their part in this and faking me out.  Not once did I think there was going to be a big party. I even posted on facebook meeting at the Rocket Bakery.  Love you all.
 Layne made this for me.

 Wow!


Freida got me a million dollar bill.  I tried to convince Layne and Lucy it was a million dollars but they didn't buy it.  It is a picture Layne said.  It was a chocolate bar.
Present time.  
 A card I will keep forever.  My kids will inherit it.  :-)
 Family!  I am speechless looking at this picture.  Teary eyed.
Monday at school we wore our shirts and medals and posed for a picture.  I love you ladies and I mean that.  My life would not be the same without you.  Thank you for your prayers and support. God is great and life is so so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment