Monday, December 28, 2015

The Day the Chairlift Stopped, December 28, 2015

It started as a pretty normal day to head up skiing.  It was snowing in Spokane so I was a little hesitant.  The powder and my recovering leg don't agree much.  I headed up anyway.  As I got farther north the snow stopped and it almost got sunny.  I even saw a bald eagle fly and land in a tree.  I thought seeing a bald eagle was good luck.  Not so! 
 Not snowing and I was excited to get on the mountain.  Hardly any skiers too.
 Beautiful day!
 The Christmas tree lights were sparkling on the tree.
 The powder was so light and fluffy it was perfect.  Fresh powder, not too deep.  I started out going up to the top of the mountain .  It was starting to snow.

 Chair 1 to the top.
 Wow!  Loving this!
 My legs started getting tired so I decided to go to chair 2 for a shorter run!
 I was almost 1/2 way up chair 2 and it stopped.  I figured someone fell so I got my phone out for some pictures.  After about 10 minutes I knew the chairlift did not stop because of a person having any trouble.  I thought there was a problem with the chairlift I was on.  Nope.  All lifts were stopped.
 I was by myself so I sang some songs, wiggled my fingers and toes, hugged myself to keep warm.  Chair 3 was going and people were getting off.  Chair 1 was next.  I have no idea what was happening with the lifts I couldn't see.  Pretty soon no one was coming down the mountain.  Someone told us it was a power outage caused by a fallen tree.  After 40 minutes we started to move.  Yes, I was praying for warmth and for the chairlift to start.  It crept up the mountain.  25 more minutes before I got off the lift.  Over an hour total.  BRRRRR!
To the lodge. No lights on the tree and I was cold.  So was the lodge.  Tons of people congregated in the lodge.  The first announcement was they would be running Chair 1 and 3 with back up power.  Some people went out.  No way I was going to.  I was too cold.
I saw Mary.  She had just arrived and missed all the fun.  We talked for a while and then she headed up to ski.  Brave Mary!  As Mary said there is no backup for the backup power!  I was not going to get stuck on the lift again.
No one did.  Just as I was leaving the lights came back on.  I still was not tempted to continue to ski. I checked to see if there was any hot chocolate yet.  Nope!
This was only part of the line to get back on to the chairlift.  Bye, bye 49 I will see you in a few days!
Then about a mile outside of Chewelah we had to take a detour on the back roads.  Small icy roads but it was very pretty!






Finally the home stretch!  What an adventure!  Has never happened to me in over 45 years of skiing. First and last time I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment