Monday, May 18, 2020

Backyard Project Spring 2020

Mike decided to enlarge the garden this year.  He was going to double it and I am glad he didn't.  It was tons of work just adding 1/2 of the original size to the garden.  The first step was to take down the wire fence Mike had made for the original garden.  I wasn't involved in that project.  Next was removing the grass with the sod cutter.  No easy task for Mike.  I had the job of rolling up the sod.

Done.  Fortunately for us a neighbor wanted the sod so we didn't have to haul it away!
One of our supervisors! Murphy
Well, this was adventure.  We had to get soil for the new part of the garden.  When Mike said he thought we would need 2 yards of dirt I had no idea one yard would fill up the whole pickup.  Shoveling, lots of shoveling.  


Almost done with one yard!



Mike did all the heavy lifting with the wheelbarrow.




Turned out we needed three yards.  When Mike brought the third yard home I sort of wanted to hide somewhere.  Well, our great neighbor helped us.  She stood up in the truck and shoveled the soil into our wheelbarrows.  We had another wheelbarrow courtesy of our neighbor too.  It went twice as fast. 
Time to spread the soil out which was handled by Mike. 

 Sammie finds the dirtiest place to lay down!  Nice white fluffy dog that doesn't stay white long.
Please don't bother me, I am so comfortable.
 Mike was getting the wood border around the garden.  Dave came over to spectate.
 It's important to be comfortable when you spectate.
 This was an area that was missing grass so I wanted to use some of the sod to fill it in.
Here is it all filled in! 


The fence is up.  We have to have a fence because Sammie loves garden food and plants.


Let the planting begin.


This was my project with the help of Mike!
 My little strawberry patch!
It was fun working on this together.  Now we take care of this and wait for the fruits of our labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment